Tuesday, January 14, 2014

What are you lookin' at???

Some days it bothers me more than others...

This weekend I had a day that the stares and the looks just got to me. I really should be used to it by now. I know when people are looking at me, and I can feel the stares most of the time when I am out in public. Especially if I am doing something that is not the cultural norm here like running outside. Or I guess just running in general...

This day in particular, people were watching me like a hawk! During lunch out with co-workers from another school's camp, everything I put in my mouth was noted. My chopstick skills were critiqued, even after I had just cut out a bit of kimchi pancake in two swift strokes. I thought I had just aced it, but instead was told I was "like a baby..." That gets old... After it was also noted to all that I wasn't eating the huge parts of fat on my meat, I was then told that I didn't eat enough and more food, that I wasn't particularly fond of was placed on my plate...

Then later traveling on a bus to Andong, I spent a good 40 minutes with a very strong stare placed on me from an Ajumma lady sitting across the isle. Not sure she looked away the whole time....In those situations I just want to do something really outrageous to really shock them. I feel like an caged animal that has escaped...

The next bus, I was enjoying some of my homemade chex mix that I had made. The lady in the bus seat behind me was so curious what I was doing, that she stood up in her seat and just starting peering over the seat! WHAAAAAT do you want??? Seriously?

These were just a few of the main instances. All days have MANY minor encounters at all moments of the day.

Most days, I embrace it, and think about all of the annoying things that I most likely do, that I don't even realize. Some days, it gets to me.

This comic I stole says it perfectly... :)

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya. What gets to me is the cutting in line or pushing. When I'm having a bad day and that happens I feel like I'm going to explode!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Most days I can deal with it, but some days....not feeling it! haha

      Delete