Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Chicago!

So...I have been in Chicago for over 2 days now, and my feet already hurt. The RAD group is staying with Jesus People a.k.a. JPUSA (pronounced- Jay-Poo-Za) in the neighborhood of Uptown. Jesus People is a community living house. They have between 400 and 500 people and live as a big family. They own businesses that many of the people work at and the rest work around the building as cooks, janitors and other odd jobs. The money is pooled together to buy food and other essentials. It is a very interesting way to live. They say that it is like living and working with everyone from your church; some people you get along with really well and others test your patience.
In the past few days we have been exploring the area and finding our way around Chicago. We are very close to the lake and have been there a few times during some free time. The "England Team" is made up of three girls- Bethany is from Iowa and Leigh is from Florida. I love them already! I think that we are going to make a great team! Somehow we have found ourselves in a "who's awesomer" contest with team Bolivia, and I am pretty sure we are winning.

3 comments:

  1. Of course you are winning; you wouldn't have it any other way! ;-) I am glad you have a great team and those living arrangements sound very interesting! I'd love to hear more about them sometime.

    Miss ya!!! Give me the date you leave for England again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, I can tell I'm going to be addicted to your daily haikus and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie,
    Don't know if you'll see this, but very interesting! Next week, make Kristen do some of those things as well! Sounds like you are going to have a great month in Chicago.... will you then be with Bethany & Leigh in England?
    Anyway, we will try to continue to read your blog periodically... good luck, and God Bless
    Dennis, Linda, & kids

    ReplyDelete