Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Navy Pier / Psalm 30


After days of saying, " I need to remember to put that in my blog..." I am finally trying to catch up with what has been happening here in Chicago. Yesterday morning we were giving Psalm 30 to read in three different locations around the city.

Psalm 30
I will exalt you, O Lord, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. O Lord, you brought me up from the grave, you spared me from going down into the pit.
Sing to the Lord, you saints of his, praise his holy name. For His anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime, weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken". O Lord, when you favored me, you made my mountain stand firm, but when you hid your face, I was dismayed.
To you, O Lord, I called; to the Lord I cried for mercy. What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit. Will the dust praise you? Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
Hear, O Lord, and be merciful to me; O Lord, be my help.
You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.

First we went to a little hidden park in a community north of us, then we read it in one of the EL stations (elevated train), and lastly we read it actually in the Bank of America Building downtown. It was very interesting to reflect on the surroundings and what part of the verse stuck out in each location. While we were downtown we decided to get a joint bank account for when we are in England and we were so proud that we each ended up with cards! Not only that, but we all got library cards too! We might have made it back a few minutes late, but we got a lot done! 
Later that night, the group decided to go down to the Navy Pier to watch fireworks and explore the area. After a somewhat long walk we made it to the pier and enjoyed the free activities.  A couple of lucky people even got to go on some of the rides by being in the right places at the right time. The weather was beautiful and we had a really great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment