Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dublin, Ireland

We got to spend a couple of days in Dublin and it was a big contrast obviously from Northern Ireland. I love how much spirit and pride that Irish people have. They know what their culture is and even embrace the parts of it that others my scrutinize about. We spent our first day in Dublin walking around a lot. We ate a picnic lunch at Stephen's Green, which was a really beautiful park. The weather was so nice that the park was fun of sun bathers, and students of all sorts soaking up the sun. 



We walked through Dublin, stopping at the places that offered free entertainment or something to see. It was a bit eerie to walk into Dublin Castle and see no one on one hold side of it, so we took advantage with some fun photo ops. Must admit...wasn't feeling the jumping but with some persuasion, I joined in. Sometimes its easier for me to stay behind the camera.


As part of our tours we got to go into the Guinness factory that was started way back in the early 1800's. It was really interesting, but I am NOT a fan of Guinness. I know people either love or hate it and I am a hater. We got a free pint, but I opted out for a soda.




I spent some time alone walking around at night taking pictures. I get weird looks, but I really like setting up my tripod and trying to capture the colors. This is a pedestrian bridge that was going to get torn down but the people of Dublin really loved it and fought for it to stay up so they restored it and put it back up.  



This is the very popular and famous Temple Bar. It's not just one bar, but is the whole area. It is full of lots of pubs and nightlife. We had plans to go to a pub, but the night that we were wanting to go happened to be Good Friday and the Catholics in Ireland were very serious about shutting the places that served alcohol. But they opened them again at midnight of the same day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment