Thursday, May 26, 2011

Whitby with Year 5 Class Trip

This last Friday I got to go on a class trip to Whitby, which is on the east coast. This trip was with year 5, which is where Leigh has been all year. It was really neat to go with all of the kids that Leigh has been talking about so much. Funny enough, I basically knew the names to the kids by all of the stories and descriptions that I've heard. It was easy to remember them too! I had a great day, even though the weather was on and off spitting mist/rain.
The bus ride there and back was a little of a challenge. Apparently we had ordered a coach (with actual seats) but we ended up getting a service bus, like the ones that go around the city with bench seating. And....it was from the 80's...which made the seats uncomfortable and the bus ride there was 2 1/2 hours. The way back was worse. Our bus was so old that it couldn't make it up one of the big hills of Whitby that we had to make a detour to avoid the hill. Then we had to stop to get petrol even though the bus driver had 4 hours without us to fill up...AND the bus driver decided he needed a coffee. Add traffic on a Friday during the late afternoon to the equation and the bus ride back took 4 hours!
While we were there we had a good time though. We got to take a boat ride on Captain Cook's boat (who "discovered" New Zealand) out of the harbour and along the coastline for a bit. Even though is was quite chilly and sporadically sprinkling, the kids were still up for going to a "paddle" in the sea. They were told not to get wet, but yeah.....they got completely soaked. Yet, none complained about how cold they were. I think that part of the day was my favorite because I know that a lot of the kids don't get to see the sea very often or ever. 
Off in the distance is the boat that we got to ride on. The other half of year 5 were enjoying their ride.
After the kids got completely drenched we walked around the town for a while. We didn't have time to climb the millions of stairs up to the Abbey, but we did have time for the kids to waste their money buying anything that was in their price range. They were very concerned when they were going to get the opportunity to spend their parents money on crap. I don't think anything kid had any money left by the end of the 15 minute shopping spree. Not a cent! I bought a Whitby "lucky duck" that was clear glass because my birthstone is a diamond. Someone had told me that was what I should look for because they are a bit famous and I thought is was a cute idea. I also bought some "rock" that was different flavours. "Rock" is a hard candy that you can get on the coasts towns of England. Linda had brought some back for the class, so I had tried it, but I bought some to take home for people to try. It was a lovely day...




The kids LOVED running in the waves. It was fun to see the JOY! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment