Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A close call...and Marie loses her cool...


Something happened to me this weekend, and I reacted in a way that I never thought was possible. As you all know, it is the wonderful Halloween season and many times people dress up in costumes the weekend before if Halloween falls on a weekday. Same for all of us foreigners here in Korea.

I had been looking forward to enjoying Busan for Halloween weekend for a long time. Basically, since I stepped off the plane, I had a plan to go to Busan for Halloween. It just so happened that it was also one of my good friend Emily's (lives in Busan) birthday weekend and the annual Fireworks Festival as well. The stars were all lining up...

Even with all of these wonderful things, this past weekend was almost the worst weekend EVER- it was such a close call. I'll recall the events that happened on Saturday night.

Setting: Eva's Ticket, KSU (University area), Busan
Date: Saturday, well technically Sunday...
Time: 4:00 am

So we were at Eva's party, a clubish-type thing in Busan and we were all dancing. I had been keeping my wallet which contained my i-phone, money, ARC card, credit card, and Korean bank card in my friend Ben's back pocket because I was tired of carrying it and less face it, guys pockets need to be used for something. Ben and I were dancing and he all of a sudden said to me, "Someone just took your wallet out of my pocket!" Instantly, I checked all of my pockets and all of his pockets and sure enough, my wallet was in none of our pockets!

CRAP!

 I started frantically looking. Ben and Emily ran down the stairs to the entrance to make sure that no one could leave with it. Some of my other friends were coming up to me and I was trying to tell them that I couldn't talk, someone just stole my wallet and they were still here! I grabbed so many backpockets of people, and yes I know that means I had to grab a lot of butts, but I was quite desperate. Most of the people didn't even realize....hahah

After about 5 minutes (which seemed like a whirlwind of hours) I noticed a guy sitting on my wallet on a stool. Immediately, I yank my wallet out and just laid into this guy. This is where it gets messy...

I would normally call myself a peaceful person with a very loyal personality. I don't recall screaming at anyone ever except my little brother and I think that might be considered normal. Anyways, I found myself 6 inches from this guys face just screaming at him! There were some choice words. My emotions were extremely high. This was no joke.

This guy, who was wearing a mask, couldn't say much of anything. He did manage to say, " I don't know why you are so upset..." This of course made me more pissed and I just continued to scream. Finally some of my guy friends realized what was going on, and pulled me off of him. I don't remember being so mad that I could have hit someone, but I think I could have in this moment. Not my finest Mennonite moment that's for sure....

Some of my guy friends continued to talk to this guy (maybe calling him some names...) and all he said to them, "She'll learn for next time." It's a good thing that I didn't know this at the time. It would have been much harder for me to calm down! How will I learn? It's not like I left it somewhere and someone took it. No, he stole it out of a pocket. AND- It was a foreigner. Most likely another teacher. Robbed by my own kind. Ridiculous. I think that this guy got off easy. Many people that I have told this story to can't believe that no one physically punched this guy...

Gosh, I am so thankful that Ben felt my wallet being taken. I am so thankful that I was able to get it back. To replace all of those things, it would have cost me a ton of money and a bunch of headaches. 

I don't know what this guy looks like. I could pass him on the street and have no idea that he was the one who tried to steal from me. Might be better this way. Although, I'm not sure how to be more careful, I probably will be in the future. I guess I could always hold onto my wallet....I had taken off my costume shortly before this incident and I remember thinking that someone could steal my costume. That is what I was concerned with! Not my wallet! haha

Anyways, now you all know that I can get quite loud if defending myself...
Don't judge...



No comments:

Post a Comment