Tuesday, October 15, 2013

We are Family....



How often is it that 23% of your cousins on one side of your family are in Korea at the same time? I'm guessing not very often! I thought 3 of 13 was pretty good!



For those of you who were wondering, my cousin Kristen lives in Cheongju, and I live in Daegu. It is a 2 or so hour bus ride between us. Easy Peasy! 

As of October 8th, I hadn't been to visit Kristen in Korea yet. (She hadn't visited me either...) I found this ridiculous considering I had been in the country for 2 months and this was the closest I have EVER lived to her in my whole life! We had a national holiday for Hangul Day, (God Bless you King Sejong the Great...) Korea's alphabet. Korea is very proud of their alphabet and the fact that it is very easy to learn to read. Anyways, we had a day off and it was during the time that my cousin Alex was visiting her sister, Kristen (also my cousin), in Cheongju. I left on the Tuesday night after school and made it there in a three hour journey. When I first arrived there I got to watch the final moments of Alex losing in ping pong. I have lost to her for years, so I did seem to get a bit of gratification watching her lose! We spent most of the rest of the time just catching up and talking. Well, Kristen and I talked...Alex doesn't talk as much us! ahah


I ate my first Indian food here. It wasn't Indian...but it was still really good. Bradford has raised my standard for Indian/ Pakistani food that's for sure. We ate a lot- pizza, ice cream...all standard when you are in Alex's presence!
On the Wednesday we went to are part of Cheongju that is kinda of like the ghetto or slum. Apparently they wanted to tear down the houses to put in sky-rise apartments, so the people painted the walls with murals to save the community. How heroic! I have no proof of this, but I heard this... Anyways, Kristen and I were having a gay ol' time taking pictures (because that is what we do) and Alex... well Alex managed to entertain herself as well! She got creative! :) To be honest I thought she would have complained a little more than she did. Kristen must have broke her in a bit before I got there...
These were my favorite murals I have seen in Korea. They were really creative and had a lot of color! I couldn't believe that Kristen hadn't been there yet! To be honest though, I am sure there are things in Daegu that I will not even think about seeing until I have visitors too! 
After walking around, I had to leave and go back to Daegu. One day was not long enough, but I'll see Kristen soon for Halloween in Busan! It's fun to have family close when you are so far away from the rest of the family! Hopefully we can have some more photo adventures soon! 




No comments:

Post a Comment