Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Miss, you are my favourite!

This year, I am going to be spending my Mondays through Wednesdays in Ms. Linda Mitchell's "year 4" class. Over here, "year 4" is 8-9 year-olds. They are a year different in England, so these kids would be in 3rd grade in the States. All my mornings will be spent in that classroom, but in the afternoon on some days I will be leading a little art group. The kids rotate to different "focus groups" after lunch on Tuesdays. This means I have 2 groups of 6 kids for about an hour each. Hopefully, I will be getting the same kids for three weeks.
This week we focused on Watercolor techniques. The kids were really excited to learn. They got to paint washes, wet on wet color fields and dry brush strokes. To make things interesting they also go to do some fun techniques like putting salt on their paint and drawing in crayon first and then painting over it. Many were amazed that normal table salt could do such cool things.  Although only one of the kids that I taught today were even from my class, it was really fun to be a little less formal with the kids and have some fun!
I'm looking forward to more classes like this, and in the future it will be with kids of a different age. As long as the kids keep liking the activities and they get to learn a little bit, then it is worth it. And as long as they keep saying, "Miss, this has been my favorite class ever!" -then i will keep doing it!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Marie! what good experience. Maybe you can teach me watercolor when you get back. I'm sure I operate at their grade level in art!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love too! In fact, why don't you come to England and learn! :)

    ReplyDelete