Monday, November 18, 2013

Hand Turkeys


I was given the lesson of "Do you know about Chuseok?", and it had a reading section on Thanksgiving, so I asked my teacher if I could go ahead and teach that section. Since it was a reading lesson, I made a powerpoint with sentences that the kids read about some of the traditions of Thanksgiving. After they read the sentences, I explained about each tradition. They loved the slide of my family of over 20 all sitting at our extremely long table at my house!
"Maa-rie Teacha? Where are you?"

I've had to explain many times this year, that my family is not rich. When the kids see my spacious house and all of our farmland, they think that we are extremely wealthy... Korea is a small space with small land, so these aspects are associated with having money. But in the middle of now where Kansas, this is NOT the case. I've tried to explain, but I doubt they have figured it out! ahah

After the reading exercise, we made hand turkeys! They could decorate them as they pleased, but I did required that they write what they are thankful for and also put "Happy Thanksgiving" at the top of the page. Most of the kids were thankful for family and parents, but I occasionally got a very creative answer!








No comments:

Post a Comment