Sunday, May 11, 2014

Dragon Hills Spa & Ajumma Scrub...



So many things can be said about this experience of going to a jjimjilbang, but in reality- my best friend is one of the most brave people I know! Without going into a lot of detail, Sarah has many reasons that the population of Korea, who already tends to stare at foreigners, for them to look harder! Most people in her situation would not be able to go into a place where you walk around naked the entire time...

Ajumma Scrub:

Gosh, you don't find this in America, that's for sure. Koreans like to SCRUB every inch of their body with a very abrasive cloth to take away the top layer of dead skin off. At a jjimjilbang, you can pay extra (25,000 won) for an old woman to do this for you. Sarah was really wanting to do this. Me, not so much. I knew it was going to be quite painful as I have rather sensitive skin. But I thought, Sarah came all the way to Korea and if she wants me to do this, I very well better do it!
We put our bracelets in line, and waited for our turn. Then we each got our turn to hop naked up onto the plastic covered massage table. The women weren't naked, they were wearing black undergarments.
These women, scrub hard and fast! They scrub EVER inch of your body and twist and manuever you so that they can reach everywhere as well! Every so often they throw tubs of water on you to wash of the dead skin piles. My lady asked me towards the beginning if I wanted a massage, but it was 50,000 won more so I declined. After that moment, I swear she scrubbed me even harder! I was not quite in tears, but it wasn't a nice feeling. I gritted my teeth... I'm not sure I would do it again, but it was an experience, and it is also crossed off my bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment