Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Murder? Oh wait....the World Cup is on....

I really want to write about my morning here is Korea. It was one of my favorite moments here thus far...
It started out like most of my mornings, waking up too early because of the sun and my lack of curtains. As I lay in bed wishing I was not awake, I was brought to my feet by the shrieking of a women... Murder?....Oh wait, Korea is playing in the World Cup!
I turned on my TV, and watched the game as I got ready for school. I should have muted it as I couldn't understand anything being said. 0-0 No one scored while I was watching the game...
I left my house to go to school. The streets were empty although I knew people had places to be! I didn't have to dodge the billions of middle school kids not paying attention to their surrounding today because as I walked by the middle school I heard all of them! (Apparently is was a near goal...) They had all woke up early and went to school to watch the game with their friends.
Then as I walked through the apartment complex, I was the only soul around as well. How peaceful, I thought...
"AHHHHHH!!!! YAAAAAAY!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!", I heard from thousands.
As I walked through these high rise apartments with their windows open, Korea scored a goal and the whole country erupted! It was such a cool feeling/ sound to be in the middle of thousands of people cheering! It was like I was on the field itself!
I kept walking to see some adults and children with the games playing on their giant smart phones (antenna raised up of course). When I made it to school, the kids were still jumping around.
One sixth grade girl said, "Marie Teacher, I'm so happy!! ummmm Korea umm...ONE!"
As I walked to my office, I noticed all of the classrooms had the game playing and the boys of the class had moved their chairs to the front of the classroom to watch more closely.

The excitement of this morning was intoxicating! Korea really comes together for international sports. I love it! Unfortunately, the game just ended 1-1.... GO KOREA!

No comments:

Post a Comment