Sunday, April 10, 2011

Our first football game...BRADFORD CITY!

John Ellis from Great Horton was able to get us tickets to the Bradford City Gents game. This was the first real football game I have ever seen live, and actually it was the first football game I have ever made it through the entire game watching the game. Now, our team apparently isn't the best, but we aren't the worse. The team that we were playing was one of the top teams in our division, so you can imagine that we were feeling like the good luck charms when we were winning 1-0 with 20 minutes left to play. Unfortunately we ended up losing 2-1. I really enjoyed the game still. 

I learned more about football in my time there. I had no idea that football was actually invented in England. Also while I was getting told off for taking photos for a ridiculous reason, the Bradford Fire was brought up. This was a horrific event in Bradford's history. In 1985 an entire side of the stadium was set on fire by a discarded burning cigarette. The whole side was in flames in 4 minutes and over 50 people died that day and 250 people we injured. Since learning about this we have found out that many people that we know, including Barry was actually there that day and still finds it haunting. Rightfully so. I have since watched a video of it and heard the game commenter continuing to comment during the event. It's horrific...



What I found amazing was that there were still people there who love their team so much that they still come back game after game 25 years later. There was a man sitting behind us that broke his back and was in the hospital for 6 months from jumping from the burning stadium. This really made me appreciate this opportunity so much more. I was surrounded by people who are very dedicated to their team in the same way that I am to my Jayhawks!

I enjoyed this game and this day so much and I hope that we get the opportunity to go to another game before we leave here! A huge thanks to John for hooking us up!

Technically, an illegal picture of us, but hey...that is what I do!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for your great post.it is informative post for football.This post give me more new information for football.This post give entertainment of online football fan's.i like this post very much.

    ReplyDelete