Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Trip to Robin Hood's Bay...


What an exciting day! We almost didn't make it to the East coast...The weather looked like it wasn't going to cooperate with us. But, the last forecast that we looked up, there was rain everywhere in the country except for the little part of the coast that we were heading! It was meant to happen. We headed east to the coastal village of Robin Hood's Bay, and I was pleasantly surprised on the way. Ask anyone here and they will tell you that I have obsessing over the poppies and the fields full of poppies! Louise has apparently told almost everyone about the fact that I was sad that we couldn't stop of the motorway to take pictures of the poppies. This time, I saw a field and then saw a pull off where we could safely park the car! SCORE! I've never seen anything like this field! Absolutely Amazing!
It was even cooler that the rest of the field was yellow rapeseed. I think Angie thought that we were a little ridiculous for taking so many pictures, but you just don't see things like this in the States. I have officially named poppies as my favorite flower, even if the farmers here consider it a weed! The ornamental poppies are very impressive too. They are massive in size! Experiencing this poppy field helped make up for the fact that I am missing wheat harvest back home. I miss the waving golden wheat fields!



Robin Hood's bay was so cute! You may wonder like I did, "What's with the name?" The actual origin of the name remains a mystery. There is not a scrap of evidence to suggest that Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest folklore visited the Bay. The name is more likely to have grown from the legends with the local origin and probably from more than one legend. I also read though that it is said that Robin Hood kept a few boats in the Bay in case he needed a quick escape to sea. Who knows? 
view from the top of Robin Hood's Bay...
What I did learn though is that Robin Hood's Bay was the busiest smuggling community on the East coast in the 18th century. Not only did the landscape promote the smuggling, but much of the community got involved with secret hiding places, bolt holes, and secret passages. It is said that a bale of silk could pass from the bottom of the village to the top without leaving the houses. 
This village was full of narrow cobbled streets and quaint cottages which we wandered around. That is, until we would hit a dead end and would have to turn around. The gardens were amazing! I found myself saying..."I want to live here..."

 
We went to the white chalk cliffs off the coast near Flamborough.
There was a white lighthouse too! Very picturesque!
After a wander around the Bay and a wonderful fish and chips meal, Angie took us to the Flamborough white chalk cliffs. The fun part about this is that Angie was just an intrigued as we were because she hadn't been there since she was a kid. The chalk cliffs were really neat and they made fun weathered white chalk rocks. The weather cooperated with us and started to rain as we were driving home. It was a lovely day and it makes me appreciate the relationships that I have formed in my time here. Every day that I get to spend with the people here just adds to the memories!


Leigh, Marie, and June

3 comments:

  1. Fun! This blog was beautiful and it made me want to be there with you all! Wow. what a great place. I noticed you keep wearing your jacket. when will it be warm? Keep storing up memories Marie. I'm sure your flat Marie has had some good ones too!


    Peace out girl scout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The fourth picture looks like it could be inspiration for a Monet painting. I'm glad you found a place to stop and take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz- who know when it will get warm! ahahah... it's more for incase it rains...& I'm excited to get flat Marie back!
    Natalie- totally agree, would have cried if I would have gone back without getting to ever take pictures...it's UNBELIEVABLE!

    ReplyDelete