Saturday, July 27, 2013

Split, Croatia

 
We made it to Split, Croatia and knew that we had a hostel booked that was close to the historic center. We had no idea that it would be IN the historic city center. It was the perfect location! I guess, I should clarify...we didn't stay in a "hostel" per say. It was actually an old woman's apartment. She sorted through our information while sitting on the window in her pajamas, and a cigarette propped out the window. What a fun first Croatian experience! She told us to start walking up the spiral steps... So we started walking.... We could hear her saying, "Keep Going! Keep Going!" Finally after 5 flights and some makeshift stairs we made it to our room/apartment. It was in what we would call the attic with a separate kitchen, but still had many windows to look out of. We had a great view of the tops of the roofs and the rest of the city. It was just as I had imagined it!
We made it to the coast, so of course we really just wanted to relax and go to THE BEACH! After asking around we were told of a good beach with not as many people. It was a beautiful pebble beach a few kilometers from the city center. The water looks nice and refreshing but be prepared- it is extremely freezing! It took a lot of baby steps to get all the way in! 
After a beach day we walked around a bit, ate another amazing meal- goulash, and I climbed the tower that you see. It was a challenge because about half way up the stair turn into metal grated steps and those who know me, know that this is usually a challenge for me. I wouldn't say that I am scared of heights, but get me these stairs and my stomach gets a bit qweezy! Worst part: Leigh didn't go with me! ahahah! Anyways, I made it and it was an awesome view of the port city. 
Side note: I somehow managed to get a ton of mosquito bites on the back sides of my arms. It was really weird, and they stayed with me for the next 2 weeks. :(

This was the view from our window of our second hostel. Yup, that right. We were moved again to a different hostel than the one that we booked online. Luckily, it was again in the middle of the historic city center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment