Friday, July 25, 2014

Boryeong Mud Festival 2014...

PRE-MUD
MUD

POST-MUD



One of the most famous and well known festivals amoungst the foreigners in Korea is the Boryeong Mud festival. It is located in a small coastal city one hour south of Seoul. This festival is a newer one and really caters to foreigners. If I had to guess, I would say at least 55% of the people there were not from Korea. It was the first time since being in Korea, that is was obvious that foreigners could do whatever they wanted and didn't have to hold back for Korean modesty standards. People were walking around in bikinis, and getting their pictures taken, and just didn't care! It was actually quite refreshing to be honest. I think it helped that it appeared to be quite a few military there as well.


We found it a little odd that there wasn't much mud, except in the small area that you had to pay for and get tickets. We didn't pre-order the tickets because we had read that there was other mud. We we couldn't find much other mud, we attempted to buy tickets, but apparently they only sell a certain amount of tickets each day. This was odd since it didn't seem like the mud area was full.

The mud area had a bunch of blow-up slides and other activities to participate in. Without a wrist band we were left with no choice but to sneak into the area. Ben and Abbi found a wristband on the ground and we used it to sneak at least 10 people in. They lost money. We were all ready to pay the 10,000 won to get in, but they didn't let us.
I'm glad that we went into this area because it ended up being really fun! Ben and I raced down the slides and competed with other couples with a bungee race, and obvious won... ahaha

After we had had our fill of mud flinging, we went to the sea and jumped in to wash ourselves off. It was pretty chilly water and it took a big to get most of the mud out of our clothes- it was caked!


"I found you. You're my penguin. With all of these people I FOUND YOU!"


During the night in Boryeong, there was a concert with "Brown Eyed Girls", a well known K-Pop group, and then after that there was a singer, that is also known, but not as popular called, Kim Jung Whoon. He was a bit annoying because instead of singing for much of the time, he talked in Korean for a long time. And he did a bit of screechy-yelling, which was reeeeeally annoying...
After the concert, there were fireworks. These fireworks were really cool and interesting because it was so foggy that you could only see them through the fog and clouds. (They were being shot off of a boat.) 
Also that night was a lot of drinking ("I could really use some chicken...") done by most people, but even with that, the pension floor was ridiculously bad. They only provided very thin blankets to sleep on, so my body was incredible uncomfortable during the night. I laid there for hours wishing I could sleep. Of all of my nights in Korea, I got the least amount of sleep this night, and to be honest, that alone would keep me from going to the festival again. 
I'm glad I went to this festival, but I know that I will most likely not go again. Once is enough for me! :) Definitely, worth a visit though!

2 comments:

  1. Hey mrs/miss Unruh! It's Uzair from 4m! I just posted such a long piece of text which I really worked on and for some reason it still said no comments after I refreshed the page! Anyway, what my basic point was that I'm now in year 8 or should I say 7th grade, (DOESN'T THE TIME FLY!??) and looking through your posts brought back a lot of memories. You seem like a VERY busy person, you must be exhausted. So mrs Unroo, (reference to how we spelled your name in year 4) bye for now! Oh and it's TOM-A-TOE bot TOE-MAE-TOE, I hope you remember that joke, anyways bye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uzair! I would love to hear what you are up to nowadays! It's so crazy how old all of you are now! I remember when you were just little innocent cuties! :)

      Delete