Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Der Schnee ist hier

Apparently, "It does NOT snow before Christmas...not usually that is..." or so I was told! The snow is here. It has been for a few days now. And with the snow, came the loss of heat in our house. We are told that it must be the pilot light or something, but unfortunately we are on the third day with no heaters and no hot water. Last night I resorted to taking a boil-water bath. I was in desperate need of bathing and washing my hair and so I boiled 4 pots of water and 3 kettles. Add that with the ice cold water from the tap, it made a semi-comfortable mixture. It got the job done at least.
Again, our new friends are coming to our rescue. We have gotten multiple space heaters from people, many wonderful offers to stay at houses, and tonight my friend Abby brought over hot water bottles and extra blankets. I'm finding it really amazing how wonderful people are.
For instance, this past Sunday we were invited to go to a Thanksgiving meal made by someone we had never met. Hospitality was shown to us just because it was known that holidays are hard away from families and Americans love Thanksgiving and need a lot of excuses to keep eating! I don't know if people realize the impact that they have on us, whether it is a simple ride or teaching us to knit, it's people showing God's love.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Marie! It really is the love of God in action..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie,
    Top of the morning to ya, Guvna! (I think that is British - or Irish). I saw your Dad last night in SE Iowa, and were your ears burning? We were talking about you! Hope you are doing well... we miss "the look". If there is a way you can take a picture of "the look" and post it, I would be much obliged. Anyway, good to read / see some of the stuff going on, and hope you are learning / helping a ton! Love, Dennis, Linda, et al

    ReplyDelete