Thursday, December 30, 2010

Eating my words....

I'm finding myself eating my words for breakfast this morning, because last night I witnessed something I never thought I would EVER see. For months now, I have been getting a kick out of the ridiculous continuous fascination with boy bands in England. The definition of a boy band is a musical group made up of men who do not play instruments, but all of them sing (for those of you who were wondering... Grandma). Best American examples would be Backstreet Boys, N-sync, Boys to Men, and New Kids on the Block, all of whom were popular in the 90's. 


Anyways, over here their biggest 90's boy band was called "Take That" made up of some guys- one being Robbie Williams for those who know him. Believe it or not, "Take That" is BACK, and they love it here! But unlike America, where Boy Bands died in the States for the last 10 years, they have continued on strong here. Looking at the bands that this country is putting out, most of them all involve multiple men singer.
 My favorite one of course is, "The Wanted". I have been getting a chuckle every time I see anything with their faces on it. They look like a bunch of overly manicured metro-sexual men who would not be friends in real life.
Now we can't forget JLS. The country voted them to win X-factor a couple of years ago and this year, One Direction, a boy band made up of actual boys. They might have been 15, I'm not sure...looked like it!

I have been almost mean in saying that boy bands don't exist anymore in the States and England is crazy for keeping them around, but what do I know. I haven't been on U.S. soil in the last three months. I could be totally wrong. Who knows?

Back to what I witnessed last night… Sometimes you just want to watch American T.V. to have that connection with back home, so I watched the American Music Awards. In my opinion, the performances were mostly bad and the acceptance speeches were weird, but nothing prepared me for the end. The last performance was a collaboration of New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys. A nine grown men group sing-a-long to their old hits. I mean, it was interesting to see what 10 years of age does to someone, and a lot of them still looked pretty good, but really? I sat there speechless, not able to share this phenomenon with anyone because everyone else was asleep.  I've spent a lot of time trying to defend the States and their musical tastes and then this? I guess words are going to have to taste pretty good this morning. YUM……

Keep in mind that this award show happened over a month ago, but I just saw it last night...We're a bit slow over here!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marie,
    Very interesting info. New Kids on the Block and The Backstreet Boys preformed on New Years Eve as well and they are now going on tour! Crazy! Love reading your blog and looking at pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're BAAAACKKKK. Backstreets Back, Alright! LOL. They were on Oprah too btw. -Melissa

    ReplyDelete