Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I'm so very thankful for...

This Thanksgiving was one of my favorites. Obviously it was not because I wasn't with my family, but because my new make-shift "family" was here. Leigh, Bethany and I decided that we wanted to have a HUGE Thanksgiving not only to celebrate the American holiday, but also to show how thankful we are to all of our new friends here in Bradford. After preparing for several days we had a feast to feed 20 people. Our turkey itself was over 13 kgs! We also served: mashed potatoes, cheesy potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, creamed corn, cooked broccoli, stuffing, cranberry sauce, vegetable platter, and bread.
My favorite part of the evening was before the meal when we went around the table and had everyone say what they are thankful for. It was really special to see people there from many different parts of out lives here. We had people from the Great Horton Methodist congregation, the St. Wilfrid's congregation, some teachers from Leigh and my school and some teachers from Bethany's school. It really was a great mix and everyone that came has a special place in all of our hearts.
After our "gorgeous" meal we had everyone come back to our little place and eat "pudding" (desserts).
We had 4 pies and a couple of cakes. After a long problematic search for pumpkin with no luck, one of the teachers at my school was able to find us some orange coloured squash and we made squash pie with the hope that it would be very similar. We still called it pumpkin pie though! HA! Later we found out that the American teacher at school had cans of pumpkin shipped in and she was willing to share. Oh well!
It really was a special day and afterwards we all were so excited that we pulled it off and it was a success! All the hard work paid off!

1 comment:

  1. Hey so, you don't know me, but I'm Becca and I lived in Bethany's room last year. And yes, there is no pumpkin in England, they don't cook with it. The only way is to buy a pumpkin and cook it from scratch. My boyfriend actually ended up sending me some last year. Speaking of which, we should talk when you get back, if you want. My boyfriend's aunt is Carol Duerksen, and I understand that Tabor is your home church.

    ReplyDelete