Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sometimes service is...

The minister of St. Wildfrid's, Paul, called me up the other day and asked if I would be able to take pictures at a wedding the next day for a Russian couple. He was worried that they didn't have the finances to pay a photographer. I thought that sounded like a fun idea since I wasn't in school that day...Now, if only my camera decides to focus!
It was a neat experience for me. I have never been the actual wedding photographer and even though this was a low-key event, I still felt the pressure! The entire wedding party and attendees are in the picture above so it was a very small wedding. Most of the people there did not speak very good English at all, so communicating was a challenge. What's new? It was a luv-lay service, and I'm glad that I got to witness it.
I found the Anglican wedding service different than any wedding that I have gone to in the States. I don't know whether it was different because it was in England, or if it was because of it being an Anglican wedding. For instance, the bride and groom did not have a wedding party at all. They both sat at times or stood up in the front by themselves. I don't recall a "kiss" at the end to seal the deal. Because of this, I wasn't aware the wedding was over so fast. Also, there is not an organist or pianist or sound system at the church and so no music was played. Her brother walked her down the isle to the groom. It turned out to be super cute. I'll just say though, they were not a smiley bunch. I had to force a smile out of them most of the time! I'm excited to say that the first wedding I shot was for a Russian couple who didn't speak English in a beautiful Anglican Church. Yay!
Oh- and I almost got paid.accidentally! The groom asked me if he could pay me tomorrow when I gave him the pictures and I had to explain to him that I was just taking pictures for them for free because I wanted to help them. Great times...

1 comment: