Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Crazy town a.k.a. Glasgow


Glasgow was a very interesting city...Completely opposite of Edinburgh as far as I could tell. If Edinburgh was the clean cut historically important city, Glasgow was the artsy, edgy, a bit grungy step-sister. I'm not meaning that was a bad thing. Glasgow did have some beautiful parts and we did get to see some cool things but man, I saw some really weird people there. I think that Leigh described it best.."Picture a crazy bachelorette party happening all day every day and you've got Glasgow."
All day it was not hard to find someone wearing the most ridiculous outfit ever made. Sadly the next person you saw would top it! High heels, fish net stocking and low cut everything was all over the place. At one point we were a little nervous going through a mob of people waiting to go into a venue because there were like 100 punk teenagers crowded together with their multi-colored mohawks. Now, this is being said by the girl who attended art school in Lawrence, but it has been years since then and I am no longer immune to these insane looks!
My opinion is formed by the fact that our hostel was in the city. When we left the city center and ventured to Glasgow University, it was really nice- great buildings, museums and thrift stores. I really liked that part of the city. It seemed like a completely different world!  We did manage to go out to find some people to take pictures of. I'm sure they thought that I was as crazy as I was thinking they were...
Every part of Scotland that we went to it was easy for us to pick out a part of it that was uniquely special to us. We really felt so blessed and fortunate in every place we visited. God was in all of these places in different ways and it was amazing to see!
I found some bloomin' heather! :)


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie, just thought I'd say - nice blog! I stumbled across it last night by coincidence as this post happens to be about the city I spent a year in for my university masters last year. It was nice to read about Glasgow from a visitor's point of view - very funny! And I managed to catch it on the day you wrote it too, so I know it's an up to date report. Seems little has changed, haha! Also, great picture of the Beresford building at the bottom there - I've always fancied having a flat in there, but my local girlfriend isn't so sure - spoit sport, eh? Haha. Keep enjoying your travels!

    ReplyDelete