Saturday, March 19, 2011

A day for Charity- Red Nose Day 2011


What a fun day... It reminded me of all of those crazy dress up days during homecoming week in high school. Red Nose Day in the U.K. is a day when comic relief is used to raise money for charity. "Do Something Funny for Money" is the motto of the day and I tried my best to accomplish this. Every other year when this event takes place they come up with a new red nose that you can buy. This year, you could buy one of three faces on the nose. Lidget Green involved the theme of beaches into the day too, so the teachers were all wearing their flippy-floppies and sunglasses. Luckily no speedos or bikinis were present today at school! hahah
The rebellious thing that the Year 4 teachers did this year was print our principal, Mr. Pope on our t-shirts with a red nose on his nose. This shirt was modeled after many of the designs that they sell online were they put famous faces in black and white with a red nose on them. We did the same, but with Mr. Pope. It was kept a surprise until today when it was revealed. I must say, it was a little awkward last week when I had to take a picture of him without him trying to figure out why I would do such a thing. It happened to be after I had brought in homemade blueberry pie and I told him that I was taking pictures of different staff members...yeah I lied.

Abby, Linda, and I (missing our Sue, who was poorly)

The kids spent some of their day writing a repot about Red Nose Day and some of the history about it. Since this was my first year, it was good for me to learn about it too! We played a lot of videos from previous years. Here is the website that you can look at to learn anything you would like to about Red Nose Day and it's history: http://www.rednoseday.com/




All throughout the day today the kids got to come and eat ice cream with their classes. I helped dish out the sprinkles and toppings for a few of the grades. It was a bit of a struggle with my glasses and nose, especially because breathing was not possible with the nose on...I kept reminding myself that I was suffocating for charity. Most of the kids picked a reasonable amount of toppings, but leave it to Uzair to be the first to ask me for everything. (about 8 toppings)


The kids enjoying their ice cream during their beach party. They got to not dress in their uniforms if they donated a pound. Most of the kids did that, which helped Lidget Green raise over 500 pounds total.

 During the day the kids also got to vote on who they wanted to "grunge". After a close call with Mr. Bird the P.E. teacher, Andy Grant a year 6 teacher ended up being the lucky person. I found out that "grunge" means "to slime". The kids LOVED it! Poor Mr. Grant... he got his awesome shirt slimed... I really did have a fun day and I'm glad that I did the extra day and went into school. A lot of time we miss the fun activities because they are held on Fridays and we don't work on Fridays. That makes these days extra special...

2 comments:

  1. this blog is amazing!! i love the photos! forget the whole teaching thing, you need to be a photo journalist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember about Mr. Pope and taking the photo's, it's not lying, merely a well placed and necessary deception ;-)

    ReplyDelete