Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Cheese balls for Gramps...


My Grandma is my person. For those who know me, know this about me. She is very special to me. Even though I am on the other side of the world, I'm always thinking about her, and especially today.

This holiday season my thoughts are with her. This Christmas is her first Christmas without my Grandpa. I know that my Grandpa drove her batty much of the time, but after 60 years of marriage, I know it will be tough for her. I know it will be a tough Christmas for many of the people I love, for the same feelings of loss.

My Grandpa drove me nuts much of the time as well, but I know that he loved me, and he always supporting me in everything that I did. He loved hearing about all of my adventures, and although I had to basically scream them over the phone so he could hear...he always wanted to hear! I know he would love to hear my Korea stories, when I make my phone calls. He was proud of all of us grandkids, and one of the last times we got to talk to him, he found a way to tell us even in his confused state.

Yesterday, I was in Costco, and like all the times I am in Costco, I was walking the cart up and down each and every isle just to look at all the goodies that I can't buy because they are in mass quantity. This time though, as I passed the giant container of cheese balls, I put it in my cart. I will share these at my Christmas celebration with my friends. These were my Grandpa's favorite snack for as long as I can remember. It was even difficult for him to share these with us grandkids growing up. Last Christmas, my aunt and uncle gave my Grandpa a new giant container of cheese balls that he was never able to enjoy... Soon after Christmas he went to the nursing home and never came back home.



This Christmas is one of the harder ones for me. I am away from my family and many of my friends. I know that the celebrations are going on without me, and this year it is the most obvious for some reason. I've been sitting here feeling quite sorry for myself, when in reality, I will be back with my family in not much time. I am still able to talk with them, skype them, and write them. Many people are missing people this Christmas, that they can't do this with.


I’m reminding myself to say an extra prayer for the ones that are hurting this holiday season, and encourage you to as well. It is so easy for us to show all of our pictures with our loved ones and presents, and be quite happy with ourselves and our “stuff” but we must remember that this isn't the case for everyone. Without using the “remember the reason for the season” line, I encourage everyone to use the hospitality and love that they have to show others that they are important! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment