Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Preparing to Leave...

I wanted to compile a list of things that I will miss when I leave Bradford, and the things that I am looking forward to about America. I have very mixed feeling about leaving. It's not that I don't want to see the people in the States because I do, I just find it hard to leave my people here...

Things I will miss about Bradford and England....

1) The Lidget Green staff and kids- I really feel like part of a family there, and I find it such a weird feeling that I may never see most of those kids ever again. I've spent the last year teaching them, playing with them, listening to secrets, smiling, and hopefully bringing a bit of joy to them. I'll miss most things about all of them, but mostly I'll miss their smiles...
2) St. Wilfrid's and Great Horton Churches. Wow, it is amazing to go to the other side of the world and find amazing generous people who care about complete strangers. We have had so many fun times and great memories made with these people. They will be dearly missed, and I hope one day I will make it back to visit them all!
3) The stone walls- It's really indescribable the amount of work that has gone into building these walls in the dales over the last 1000 years. I will miss the comforting feeling of looking out and seeing the history of it all. England's history is so much older than ours in America and it was easy to picture people centuries ago doing similar stuff to us. I'll miss that...
4) Fish and Chips- Not gonna lie, I wasn't a big fan of the British food in general, but there are a few things that will be missed. One of them is Fish and Chips because there is no way that I will be eating fish and chips in Kansas. 
5) Asian food- Specifically: Samosas, Korma, and Naan. I didn't realize that I would miss this until recently. At first I had a big issue with the spice level, but I've been doing much better with it and I have realized that I will miss that kind of food. Who knew?
6) Kid's Club Kids- What a challenge, but what a blessing. These kids could just drive you absolutely mad, but they still were so special to us. We weren't able to tell some of our favorites "bye" before we left, and I'm still extremely sad about that.
7) Friday walks with Angie, Malcolm and Nellie- Amazing memories have been made of Fridays in England. This was a great time to see the countryside, hang out with some cool Brits and exercise all at the same time. These days meant more to me than they will ever know or understand.
8) My friends- You know who you are. I can't say anything to describe how much you mean to me but all I can say is that I'm sad without you guys here.

Things I'm looking forward to about the States:

1) My family and friends: Looking forward to seeing everyone that I've missed over this last year.
2) Driving my car: It's been so long and once I realize that I'm driving on the other side of the road, I think that it will go smoothly...
3) Stars: I'm looking forward to being about to see the stars, and the best place to see them are at my house in Kansas. No light pollution.
4) Proper thunderstorms with lightning: England has no idea was a thunderstorm in and I am looking forward to thunder, lightening, and very heavy rain!
5) Food: pretty much everything...this could be dangerous!

No comments:

Post a Comment