Thursday, September 30, 2010

First Day of School


"Back to school. Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight. Oh! Back to school... back to school... back to school."
                                                                              Adam Sandler in Billy Madison
 Tuesday was my first day "assisting teachers" at the primary school Lidget Green. Primary School ranges from the nursery age babies to year 6 (age 11).  The actually space that the school is made up of at the moment is about half of the size of the school I went to, but twice the amount of kids are there. Lidget Green is under construction, and hopefully by February more space will have been added. I will be working three days a week and for the first few weeks I am going to be going to different grade levels to find out what age of kids I like the best. The first day I started out with year 2, which are 6-7 year olds. I think in the States that is usually 1st grade. Today I got to go with year 4, which is 8-9 year olds. For me the difference between the two age levels was incredible. Right now, I am spending much of my day helping kids with their work and trying to be extra eyes to help them stay on task. The teacher of the classroom I was put into today was brilliant with the kids. I really liked her teaching style! I really could learn a lot! I may also be moving around a bit when the teachers find out that I do art, because from what most are telling me, they don't enjoy it and therefore are offering me jobs already! I guess we'll see!

To learn more about the school that I will be working with for the next 10 months, click here.
www.lidgetgreen.net/

1 comment:

  1. Good thing you have experience with a broad age range, thanks to me! hehe!

    ReplyDelete