Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Peace think-piece


peace

[pees] Show IPA noun, interjection, verb, peaced, peac·ing.
–noun
1. the normal, nonwarring condition of a nation, group of nations, or the world.


2. a state of mutual harmony between people or groups, esp. in personal relations: Try to live in peacewith your neighbors.

3. a state of tranquillity or serenity

 
4. silence; stillness: 
Peace. Shalom. Fulfillment. Wholeness. Soundness. Harmony.
When I think of peace I think of a settle feeling deep inside. When I think of peace, I think of friendships forming. When I think of peace, I think of God's creation all over the world in the beautiful landscapes. When I think of peace, a hand sign. When I think of peace, I think of lollipops and rainbows....just kidding. But seriously....
Over this last week our focus has been on peace. We have learned about the Anabaptist history (which I found extremely neat because both girls I am going to England with are not Mennonite).  History is important to me and I feel like it affirms my faith when I hear what my ancestors went through. Also, James Krabill of Mennonite Mission Network came to share with us the similarities between evangelizing and peace. He also explained the meaning of Shalom, but expressed how hard it is to actually define. Below is an excerpt from James Krabill's (J-Krabes as some of the boys renamed him) book, " Is it Insensitive to Share your faith?"
..."Shalom is a broad concept, essential to the Hebrew understanding of relation between people and God. It covers human welfare, health, and well- being in both spiritual and material aspects. It describes a condition of well-being resulting from sound relationships among people and between people and God…
For the Hebrews, peace was not merely the absence of armed conflict. Rather, shalom was assured by the prevalence of conditions which contribute to human well-being in all its dimensions. Not mere tranquility of spirit or serenity of mind, peace had to do with harmonious relationships between God and His people. It had to do with social relationships characterized by His people. It had to do with social relationships characterized by justice. Peace resulted when people lived together according to God's intentions. Peace, justice, and salvation are synonymous terms for general well-being created by right social relationships." 

 

1 comment:

  1. hey marie, next time i see you, please tell me all about the Anabaptist reason for not doing infant baptisms. i'm pretty curious about this these days. also, it's great to read your blog and see how much culture Chicago has offered you all :) so glad you came to our church, we'll be sad to loose you.

    ReplyDelete